Motor Vehicle Accident Claims

If you are injured through no fault of your own as a result of being a driver of a motor vehicle, passenger, pedestrian or bike rider then you may have a claim for compensation.

If you think you have a claim, call RaZor Legal for a free and no obligation initial consultation on 1800 671 279.

Frequent Questions

What is a Motor accident claim?

If you have sustained injuries in an accident that involved a motor vehicle then you may have a right to make a claim for compensation.

The compensation is designed to compensate you for the injuries you have sustained as a result of the accident, and can include things such as general damages (pain and suffering), past and future medical expenses, past and future lost income.

Who am I claiming against?

It’s compulsory for vehicles registered in Queensland to have third-party insurance.

The claim will proceed against the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurer of the vehicle at fault.
If the accident involves an unidentified vehicle (e.g. a hit and run) there is still an insurer against whom the claim will be made (the Nominal Defendant – government insurer).

What can I claim for?

In a Motor Vehicle case you can generally claim compensation for:

• Damages for pain and suffering / loss of enjoyment of life
• Past and future loss of wages or other income
• Past and future lost Superannuation
• Past and future medical expenses such as hospital or rehabilitation expenses
• Cost of Home Help (paid or unpaid), if certain thresholds are met
• Out of pocket expenses including medication, travel to and from treatment, equipment and aids.

Generally, the CTP Insurer will pay for your necessary rehabilitation and medical expenses following an accident.

Upon the successful conclusion of your claim, you will receive a lump sum figure which is tax-free.

How much will it cost?

RaZor Legal operates on a No Win No Fee basis for personal injury claims. Meaning that, for no charge, a qualified expert Lawyer will meet with you, answer your questions and discuss the merits of your claim. When you proceed with the claim, you will only be charged if there is a successful outcome.

What is No Win No Fee?

Quite simply: We will investigate your case, if we advise that you have no claim, there will be no charge. No Win = No Fee. Simple. If you proceed, we will only charge you if your claim is successful.

When do I claim against the Nominal Defendant?

If a motor vehicle is unregistered or you are unable to identify the vehicle involved in the accident, then a claim can be brought against the Nominal Defendant. Strict time limits apply to claims against the Nominal Defendant and it is recommended that you seek legal advice urgently in relation to these claims.

What Limitation Periods apply to these types of Claims?

Strict time limits apply to these types of claims. Generally, you must bring a claim for compensation within three years of the date of the accident. If you do not do so within three years, you will lose your rights forever.

In certain types of claims, such as claims against The Nominal Defendant, the time limit can be much shorter than three years.

It is vital that you obtain legal advice as soon as possible after the accident so the necessary steps can be taken in order to protect your rights.